Thursday, December 31, 2009

Survival basics

The month of December is a really long month, specially because it's vacation time. For us IITians, its a 31-day vacation. And this one has been a really taxing one..to the last day. Made me think that one should have a manual on survival basics for such long stretches of holidays. Taking the cue, here is a list of few must-haves if one must survive the long and dreary days (even though its winter time)-
1)Laptop with working battery.
2)Wireless broadband (atleast at home)
3)Sweater (it's winter, what were you thinking)
4)Camera kit (winter photography is much cooler than summer photography)
5)A pair of shoes/chappals
6)Photoshop CS2+/ any Image-editing software
7)Enthusiasm
8)Social Networking presence
9)Some hill nearby
10)Mode of transport

With all the above, I started on my Activa for the 'Hanuman' tekdi (also called Law College Hill) near Fergusson College (hence, also called Fergusson College Hill). My climb initiated from BMCC college, though it was not much of a climb for a regular (4-5 times a year) Singhagad climber. Along the way I came across different flowers which i had never seen before. I wondered they were still in bloom during the winter time.
I am not much of  a florist nor knowledgeable in wild flowers, so you will have to do without an ID. But who cares? The scene was nice.
I know this one- it's called bougainvillea. You can see the BMCC ground in the background.
After lounging about at the foothills, I started on the 5 minute climb to the summit (lol, pardon my use of such jargon). The air was becoming thinner (sorry for the exaggeration) and a cool breeze had started blowing. I don't usually follow what I preach- I had forgotten to put on my sweater. So I had to complete this trek in time, before the wind really picked up. After laboring for 5 mins, I reached at the top and was greeted by this awesome view-
The trained eye can notice the silhouette of Singhagad. Why I like to climb this joke of a hill is because it gives a lot to explore at the 'top'. From the top, one can virtually see the whole of Pune from Pashan to Pimpri to Khadki, Ganeshkhind, Aundh, Koregaon park, Lohegaon, Camp, Deccan, Kothrud and other outskirts. A rough, stony, weathered path continues towards Symbiosis college and Law College road towards the west from the top. After walking a few hundred metres, one comes across a Chinese Temple-like structure which octogenarians use for their exclusive laugh clubs.
The sun was peering through the branches and structure by the time I reached there, signalling that the sunset was due. A single glance dispelled my doubts of what attracts the old population of Pune to that bare structure. With the sun saying its last good-byes, the moon suddenly struck a nice pose in the sky. Being the day before the 'Blue Moon', it looked almost full to the naked eye. I couldn't resist to take this pic while coming down.
I knew I had my fill for the day and started descending. At the foothills, I found this flower which remained true to the season
                                            

No comments: